2.04.2008

Bored, stressed and depressed under gray cloudy skies

I’m officially jobless. It’s only been two weeks and it already feels like forever, it’s probably because of how fast I lost my job or maybe because I miss the stressing over my work drama-of-it-all, after all, I’ve been doing this kind of work for more than three years. It's my bread and butter and it became as precious as the air I breathe. I was severed all too sudden and felt like going cold turkey.

A friend aptly referred to our generation as stress junkies and I can’t help but nod in agreement. I was saying that I finally have all the time to do what I wanted, but all the time I had in my hands were starting to bore me since I didn’t really have anything better to do with it, I was just home doing either of three things: sleeping, eating and watching TV, quite literally getting my ass bigger. I’m non-productive and lazy as ever. I’m pretty much a slob in the making and the stormy/gloomy weather is not at all helping with the mood, but I’m grateful to find something else to blame for my general unwillingness to function properly, which, by the way is hardly there to begin with.

This friend pointed out that we are so addicted to all the stress that we get stressed when we’re not stressed, get what I mean? I know it’s twisted but oddly we thrive in it like mosquitoes in stagnant waters, we obviously hate it but not to the point where we're going to do what's necessary to change, we even get agitated without it, and so I wonder whether it’s the same for people who didn’t work in the call-center industry, after all their really not dealing with having to change shifts every now and then and having to work during the time you’re supposed to be sleeping or as a friend said “taking everyone else’s crap everyday when you can’t even deal with your own.” The amount of physical and emotional stress we have to deal with is somewhat doubled because of the culture of the industry. Yes it is hard, a lot harder than it seems. I thought it was just an itch that you can scratch; apparently it’s deeper than that.

This kind of behavior is alarmingly higher than usual, although It’s merely a pattern for most us because of the weather changes and how our stars are aligned. I've never heard more people getting depressed, feeling less optimistic and a whole lot losing interest in what they really want to do in the same regularity of our monthly bills, generally this is disheartening, especially for a country who supposedly ranks number 17 in the happiest country on earth.

Somehow the dreams have become impossible to achieve, financial stability is after all what most of us prioritize. Some of us are probably just putting it off until we get the chance or the courage to get on with it, some are waiting for their big-break while they toil their way up the corporate ladder, however, the majority of us plainly find it impractical to pursue because of how hard life already is. No matter what reason we have, the amount of stress we put ourselves into and the lifestyles we lead will one day catch up on us and then it's payback time. So let’s admit it; whether we like it or not, we really are a bunch of stress/drama junkies and we love the rough and tumble of the harried lives we live.

I guess the more important question now is how long are we going to continue living this kind of life? Beats me, and how about we stop blaming ourselves and do something about it for a change? While you're thinking of what to do to make things better, putting the blame on the weather man, while we can, has never been a better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment